RHODES SAFETY Driving School - Driving lessons in a Mini
Driving school News

I D required when applying for a driving licence

Identity documents needed for a driving licence application
You can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application if you’ve got a valid UK biometric passport (where the photograph and signature are on the same page). You won’t need to send your biometric passport in with your application.Otherwise you’ll need to send in an original identity document.
Other types of identification
You can send the following identity documents if you don’t have a biometric passport:
You must send the original document with your driving licence application.
You can’t use:
Don’t send in your passport if you need it within the next month - consider delaying your driving licence application until after you’ve travelled.
If you’re a pensioner
If you’ve reached State Pension age, you can send an original of one of the following in your name:
  • recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
  • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
UK birth and adoption certificates
You can use a UK birth and adoption certificate, but you must send it with one of the following:
  • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions () showing your National Insurance number
  • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
  • P45, P60 or pay slip
  • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisei or absolute)
  • college or university union card, school record or citizen card
If your name has changed
You’ll need to provide evidence if your name has changed since your identity document was issued.
The details you give must show a clear link between the name on your identity document and your current name.
Who can sign your form and photo
The person signing the form and photo must:
  • be resident in the UK
  • know you personally
  • not be a relative
  • not be living at the same address as you
Suitable people include:
  • local business person or shopkeeper
  • librarian
  • professionally qualified people, eg a lawyer, teacher or engineer
  • police officer
  • bank or building society staff
  • civil servant
  • minister of religion
  • magistrate
  • local councillor
  • Members of Parliament, Assembly Member, Member of the Scottish Parliament or Member of the European Parliament
will contact the person who signs your application.
You don’t need someone to sign your photo if you’ve agreed to have check your identity by:
  • contacting HM Passport Office
  • providing an up to date passport, travel document or
  • providing your or national identity card (except for ID cards issued by the Swedish Post Office)
You don’t need someone to sign your photo if you’re renewing your licence with a new photo.
Get your documents back
You’ll get your driving licence and identity documents separately.
Include a stamped self-addressed special delivery envelope if you want your identity documents returned by special delivery.
Contact if you don’t get your identity documents back within 3 weeks of receiving your driving licence.

0 Comments to I D required when applying for a driving licence:

Comments RSS

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment